Hello Engineering Steering Committee and L10N-Dev members,

I'm an engineer at Sun Microsystems, Inc. working on software
internationalization, localization, and related standardization issues.

While I was attending the Unicode Consortium's Unicode Technical Committee
(UTC) and Common Locale Data Repository Technical Committee (CLDR-TC)
meetings as Sun rep, recently I had a chance to discuss about the importance
of the Unicode standard and also CLDR locale data in various open source
communities and in particular the OpenOffice.org as mutual feeder of data
and input and also for better collaboration between the two organizations.

I also briefly discussed on this and a possibility of inviting the
OpenOffice.org as a Liaison Member with the president of the consortium,
Mark Davis, and he is quite positive about on this too.

Having the liaison relationship between the two organizations is to
establish a formal working relationship and from the Unicode Consortium's
view point, we would like to ask for your organization's possible
participations in the standardization process of the Unicode standard and
the CLDR.

I also briefly talked about on this with some OpenOffice.org folks
such as Louis Suárez-Potts, Eike Rathke, Christof Pintaske, and Karl Hong
and in my understanding, many thanks to them, all of whom I consulted are
positive on this possible future relationship and provided valuable
comments and encouragements.

And so, as a member of UTC and CLDR-TC, I'd like to assist in inviting
the OpenOffice.org as a Liaison Member to the Unicode Consortium.

Would you please let me know if establishing such a working relationship
would be a good idea between the two organizations?

Thanks very much for your help and time on this,

Ienup Sung
The Unicode Consortium
and
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

PS. Being a Liaison Member doesn't cost any money and it is just to
establish a working relationship between the two organizations for
mutual benefits.

The following URLs, especially, the second one, explains about the
Liaison Member at the consortium:

    http://www.unicode.org/consortium/unicode-bylaws.html
    http://www.unicode.org/consortium/tc-procedures.html
    http://www.unicode.org/cldr/process.html

The role of the liaison member is that while they cannot vote at the
Technical Committees, they can send in reps and participate, observe,
comment, or do all of them to influence the standards and also on the
standardization process. Another important thing is official and proper
communication between the two organizations and also the right to access
to all internal standardization documents and data of the Unicode
Consortium in timely manner.

Currently the Unicode Consortium has numerous liaison members representing
various international, national, and industry standardization organizations
and groups, various academic and research institutes. The GNOME Foundation
also joined rather recently.

Usually, each liaison member designates a liaison officer to the Unicode
Consortium and the Unicode Consortium designates a liaison officer to
the liaison member organization. Sometime a single liaison officer is
acting for both organizations.

The role of the liaison officer is to be the official channel of
communication between the two organizations. This communication includes
mostly technical discussions related to the standards.