Hi Eike,

Eike Rathke wrote:
Hi sophie,

On Friday, 2008-04-18 18:26:25 +0200, sophie wrote:

Would it be possible that one day we get enough space to put the words
of our language in the dialog box or should we move to a kind of sms language localization [1]?

Yes please ;-)  Nah, just kiddin'

:) May be one day, our special KidsOOo4SmartPhone will look like that ;)

 We're all hoping for a dialog
framework that adpats dialog sizes to the items they contain and also
does reflow of items if necessary. Just making dialogs larger to fit
lengthy text is not always the way to go, large dialogs with short text
and much empty space don't look good either.

Yes I know that and I can understand it, but not seeing the end of a sentence in a dialog is very frustrating when you discover a functionality.

Several strings doesn't fit dialog windows in French, but I'm sure it's
true for other language as well.

A good test case for Western languages usually is Finnish ...

Oh, may be they can give us advice on how to shorten our strings :)

For example the Tools > Options >
Security dialog is of very poor quality because half of the strings are
not displayed in the button, and some sentences are truncated as well.

Space in buttons may again be something different. Large buttons just to
fit some text look quite ugly, IMHO.

So better put a question mark in it and a 'Guess what?' in the tip ;) I'm kidding too, but as said Andre, it doesn't help to have a button you can't understand.

I know it's difficult, but may be the solution for us would be to work with the English linguistic team to find a formulation suitable for the more language as possible? or is it another utopia?

Kind regards
Sophie