The main difference is that Vietnamese is known to Windows XP, while Khmer is not. The installer does not recognise Khmer as a language. It can now use utf-8 languages that it knows of... but most probably not Khmer. Also, Windows XP cannot manage Khmer fonts correctly, because its uniscribe (UNICODE rendering) engine is not prepared for Khmer.

Javier