r.baars wrote:
Since some weeks now, I am preparing for creating new hyphentation patterns for Dutch, includieng the feature of changing the word while hyphenating.

Normally, one generates patterns from a hyphenation file, which is in the rather simple format of hyphenated words (ex-am-ple).

This format is clearly not good enough to show all hypehnation patterns for these changing words. I'll use Dutch examples partly from now, though it applies to German and Greek (at least) as well.

[snip]

For the first, and most common hyphenation, a shorthand could be introduced by any char, saving 1 char per word (Is that worth it?) The chars for the brackets and hyphenation could be 'declared' in the file header, leading to a format like:

[]   #hyphenation area
=   #hypehnation char
ru[ï=i]ne   #example comment

* Would more languages then Dutch have use for a format like this?
* Would it be feasible to base a pattern generator on this format

* What are the general thought about trying to set a standard for hyphenation registration ?

TeX uses something close to
{pre-break}{post-break}{no-break}
Dutch: omaatje oma- tje oma{-}{}{a}tje.
Polish: kong-fu kong- -fu => kong{-}{-}{}fu
Swedish: tillåta till- låta => till{-}{l}{}åta

Or you could look at
http://hunspell.sourceforge.net/tb87nemeth.pdf

Regards,
  Nanning Buitenhuis