Marcin Miłkowski wrote:

>>> Another glitch is that
>>> under Unix systems, you cannot update your dictionary extension (well,
>>> you can, but you're not told you can! - automatic update doesn't try to
>>> download a new version and install it for your account).
>>
>> If the dictionary is installed for a single user, the update should work
>> (at least in Sun builds). If the dictionary is installed for all users,
>> it must be downloaded and installed separately with admin rights.
>
> If you are using Sun builds under Linux, you have to be root to install
> the build (rpm doesn't normally work for non-root users), and, as a
> result, the bundled dictionary extensions are installed for all users
> and as an individual user, you're not told there are newer versions.

I will ask the UNO developers about that.

> So the update doesn't work for the individual user - which is not very
> convenient, as admins don't normally run application software under root
> accounts. As a result, they won't even know there are newer versions of
> the bundled extensions.

The update inside OOo doesn't, yes. Updates can be installed by an
external process (not by OOo itself), so there is another option: OOo
could start this external process and try to get super user rights for
it. This should work on all modern consumer Linux distributions.

>> Another option would be to deploy the extensions as native packages (as
>> for some Firefox extensions) containing a script with a custom action
>> that installs the extension.
>
> I don't think this is needed. We just need a mechanism of overriding the
> dictionaries installed for all users by dictionaries installed for
> individual users.

I don't like the mixed state with bundled extensions and updates
installed per user - that's a mess. I think I will ask the UNO
developers what they think about the "sudo" approach.

Regards,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "nospamfor...@gmx.de".