Quoting Thomas Lange - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg <thomas.la...@sun.com>:

The code in lingucomponent/source/spellcheck/spell/sspellimp.cxx loops
over all dictionaries with the appropriate locale. Thus is should work
having multiple dictionaries for the same locale installed.
I also heard there is an English medical dictionary out there that makes
use of this.

actually, there is some evidence about it (allthough, not acquired by me) that a change in describing xml file let to installation of two spellcheck extension of the same language. I did not tried to reproduce yet, but a worrying thoght is that for that case there were 2 sets of affixes and they _were not_ identical, as there were changes in the latest version.

Janis