On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 3:30 PM Dan Mace <dm...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 10:03 AM Daniel Comnea <comnea.d...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Would appreciate if anyone can please confirm that my understanding is
>> correct w.r.t the way the router haproxy image [1] is built.
>> Am i right to assume that the image [1] is is built as it's seen without
>> any other layer being added to include [2] ?
>> Also am i right to say the haproxy metrics [2] is part of the origin
>> package ?
>>

>> A bit of background/ context:
>>
>> a while back on OKD 3.7 we had to swap the openshift 3.7.2 router image
>> with 3.10 because we were seeing some problems with the reload and so we
>> wanted to take the benefit of the native haproxy 1.8 reload feature to stop
>> affecting the traffic.
>>
>> While everything was nice and working okay we've noticed recently that
>> the haproxy stats do slowly increase and we do wonder if this is an
>> accumulation or not cause (maybe?) by the reloads. Now i'm aware of a
>> change made [3] however i suspect that is not part of the 3.10 image hence
>> my question to double check if my understanding is wrong or not.
>>

>> Cheers,
>> Dani
>>
>> [1]
>> https://github.com/openshift/origin/tree/release-3.10/images/router/haproxy
>> [2]
>> https://github.com/openshift/origin/tree/release-3.10/pkg/router/metrics
>> [3]
>> https://github.com/openshift/origin/commit/8f0119bdd9c3b679cdfdf2962143435a95e08eae#diff-58216897083787e1c87c90955aabceff
>>

> I think Clayton (copied) has the history here, but the nature of the
> metrics commit you referenced is that many of the exposed metrics points
> are counters which were being reset across reloads. The patch was (I think)
> to enable counter metrics to correctly aaccumulate across reloads.
>
> As to how the image itself is built, the pkg directly is part of the
> router controller code included with the image. Not sure if that answers
> your question.

[DC]: thank you Dan, it does answer the question. Out of curiosity, any
chance you can point me to the CI job which builds the image? Looking at
the dockerfile [1] itself i couldn't work it out hence my curiosity of
understanding the missing part ;)

[1]
https://github.com/openshift/origin/blob/release-3.10/images/router/haproxy/Dockerfile