There are really 2 schools of thought here I think. One side is that this
may warrant a significant update to the IAppender interface (or adding a
new IAsyncAppender interface) to add in Async methods in addition to the
synchronous ones. That seems like a really large effort that would warrant
much more planning.
In this case I think it would be sufficient to just copy the
ForwardingAppender and have it append asynchronously, think
AsyncForwardingAppender where we call a method such as:
public Task<int> AppendLoopOnAppendersAsync(LoggingEvent loggingEvent)
internal Task<int> AppendLoopOnAppendersAsync(LoggingEvent[] loggingEvents)

This is probably the easiest implementation.

The other way I've considered is adding in a ConccurrentQueue and an
additional thread to pop off the queue and call append. This is likely the
more performant method. (And is the method used in the libraries I consume
today).