Guten Tag Stephen Webb,
am Dienstag, 3. März 2020 um 06:51 schrieben Sie:

> As a result of knowing the macros are "blocks", most LOG4CXX_ XXX() code
> does not have a trailing semicolon.

And that has been unexpacted behaviour in the past and users did
wrong, so has been changed. The current implementation seems to be more
in line with what users seem to expect and doesn't result in difficult
to debug error messages anymore.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-319?focusedCommentId=12670094&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-12670094
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-393?focusedCommentId=13201496&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels%3Acomment-tabpanel#comment-13201496

> I would like to be able to compile my systems with both 0.10 and 0.11 for a
> transitional period (i.e. to avoid a 'big bang' switch over).

Then you should carefully look at each and every patch applied between
those two versions, especially about the many memory- and multi-thread-
related problems. Multiple things have changed.

https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LOGCXX-394

> If I was forced to use a 'big bang' change, I would probably just change to
> log4cpp which is already supported by package managers (conan.io and vcpkg).

Which is easier of course than to simply add a semicolon using search
& replace. :-)

When introducing support for CMAKE, it has even been discussed to
remove Autotools as well to focus on one build system only. So happy
discussing which backwards incompatible changes are allowed and which
not...

https://github.com/apache/logging-log4cxx/pull/12#issuecomment-580930215

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Thorsten Schöning