On Tue, Mar 03, 2020 at 04:51:28PM +1100, Stephen Webb wrote:

> I would be surprised if any unix distribution would change to 0.11 log4cxx
> if its API is incompatible with 0.10.

With my Debian maintainer hat on:
This is nothing special and day to day businesss with distos:

It will "just" invoke a library transition [1], and the new binary
packages will be named according to the new SONAME, e.g liblog4cxx11
After the transition the old library version will be removed from
Debian.

Frankly, I'm really looking forward to have a new liblog4cxx for
Debian, and now (as we are still some time away from the next Debian
release) would be absolutly the best time for a new release.
The new version just fixes so many issues that it really pays off the
extra work for packaging and the transtion, introduced by the SONAME
bump. (my 2cent…)

--
Cheers,
tobi