According to the documentation at CircleCI, this permission was required to enumerate repositories for users. However, AppVeyer is capable of doing so with a lesser permission, which I surmise may have been added after CircleCI first established their permissions. I've submitted an inquiry on that side.

I've also submitted an inquiry to AppVeyer wrt their vs2019 build environment, which appears to be missing .net framework 3.5.

-d