I have created https://github.com/apache/logging-log4j2/pull/480 for you to
review. It has many changes and merge conflicts will be painful to fix so
please do not commit to master until this PR is merged.

Although I could merge this now I would prefer if you could checkout the branch
on your local machines, build, and test it. I haven’t tested it with anything
real yet but all the unit tests - except for the osgi module - pass.

If you open this in your IDE you might have some issues with some test classes
being flagged as having compile issues. This is because of the weird extra
directory I had to include in log4j-api and log4j-plugins to create test jars.

Please provide feedback so I can make any changes and get this merged.

Ralph