Thank you very much Ralph for compiling this list.

On Fri, Dec 24, 2021, at 17:47, Ralph Goers wrote:
> 1. Create a README.md that publishes the projects EOL status and do
> nothing else.
> 2. Create a README.md that says the project is EOL and no further big
> fixes or enhancements will be made but 1.2.18 was a special
>     circumstance. Perform ONLY the following work for 1.2.18:
>     a.  Make the build work with a modern version of Maven.
>     b.  Fix the Java version bug.
>     c.  Fix CVE-2021-4104 (expanded to address all JNDI components)
>     d.  Fix CVE-2019-17571
>     The expectation is that the above would address the actual issues
> and not just remove classes.
>     Do NOT perform a release of any kind.
> 3. Option 2 but only perform a source release.
> 4. Option 2 but perform a full release.
> 5. Option 4 but allow development to continue, including bug fixes and
> enhancements.

I am thinking option 1 is the best. We should improve log4j2 instead of wasting
time to software which was last. updated in what, 2012?

However, I can see that there is some users who want to fix serious issues
because they have reasons.

I would be fine with 2, if:

 - we clearly mark it EOL and tell this is a security patch for those who still
couldn't upgrade
 - we promote to work on log4j2 bridge et al, if someone is willing to
contribute, and helping writing migration guides
 - we allow all commits which makes the build easier and fixes (critical)
issues. No more features which could lead to a version bump to 1.3, which is
already taken by a failed attempt to upgrade

I am OK with option 4. The build is to complicated for anybody outside the
developer list to make it happen. If we upgrade, we need to help users further.

Here is a new option.

Assuming we can make it a 1.2.18 and assuming we find out there is >=2 people
willing to develop this further by ~mid 2022, we vote again if we continue this
project.

Only with a committed community we don't have to close it down again. Please
take also in mind, that there is a competing logging project which developed
the 1.2.x code base further. This will also add tensions.

Cheers
Christian