> Chainsaw is hardly getting any maintenance

It is sad the PMC rejects CVE fixes.

>> [1] Retirement translates to archival of the repository and clearing up its
> mentions in `logging.apache.org`.

It sounds awful to "deprecate and remove references" simultaneously.
How should users know something is deprecated if you do not announce
it previously?

Any deprecation should leave a 5-10-year window before removal.

There might be active users, so keeping the documentation on the
website would be great even if the software is no longer maintained.
I believe nobody would complain, however, if you remove the
documentation from the site, people would have to
resort to a Wayback machine and things like that.

Vladimir