In these universes (projects): Over the years, many RCs in many projects
have created zip and tars with missing files because assembly descriptors
for the Maven assembly plugin where not updated correctly or created
properly in the first place. The src zip and tar is NOT (usually) a dump of
EVERYTHING is a svn/git repository. A project might contain many extra
files that are not required to build. For example, IIRC I saw an RC once
that included the .git hidden folder.

Gary