just my thoughts:

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Simon Willnauer
<simon.willna...@gmail.com>wrote:

> So the problem here is where to draw the line. I think in a setup like
> we have with lucene and solr in one codebase the chance to hit a bug
> within these 72h is huge.

I agree with this. The question is, which bugs should block a release and
which should not?

We should think of the impact they have on the users, but at the same time
we should think of the impact on users that *not* releasing has: there are
plenty of important bugfixes here. We should also keep in mind when the
bugs in question were introduced (are they new in this release, etc).

> This means the Release process is a huge
> pain each time.

I do agree its too hard on the release manager. If you want a quality
release, its still too hard. You basically have to be dedicated to just
that task for a potentially long time. We should think of ways to improve
this.

> Then we have bugs that justify a respin and some who
> don't. I looked at SOLR-5762 and it seems this one should cause a
> respin but the LUCENE-5461 doesn't. It's hard to draw that line since
> its pretty much up to the RM and then you get heat if you draw that
> line. IMO we should improve our release process and release a point
> release every week shortening the vote period for that to maybe 24h.

As far as releasing more often, no argument from me: except as mentioned
above, I don't think we are really setup for that right now yet.

On the other hand, I think the 72h window is fine. I think the motivation
behind it is good, it ensures everyone has a chance. Even if you shorten it
to 24h: give me 24h and the challenge to find a bug somewhere in this
codebase, I guarantee you I can do it. So I think the real issue is about
*which* bugs should block the release.

> That way we can get stuff out quickly and don't spend weeks on the
> release process.
>
> I will call this vote here as failed and build a new RC once SOLR-5762 is
> in.

Looks like this is a backwards compatibility break in this encoder/decoder.
Is it not possible to have a backwards compatibility test for this? It
could be similar to lucene's TestBackwardsCompatibility, just some
serialized stuff that gets deserialized by the test and checked. If such a
test existed, maybe this would not have come up during the release vote but
would have been caught during development.