I'd like to avoid the distraction of speculating about the reasons
organizations will or won't upgrade to Java 8 as I don't think it's
helpful.

What's important to me is whether Java 8 offers me, in my role of
supporting real-live users, benefit. And here I don't care about
lambda expressions. Users don't care about lambda expressions. Users
don't care about anything except whether Solr/Lucene solves their
problem and keeps running.

So, things I desperately care about are things like whether Java 8:
1> Avoids stop-the-world GC pauses that handicap Solr/Lucene when it
comes to making use of all the memory we have available. I do note
that PermGen is removed, don't quite know how/whether that'll help
here...
2> Makes Lucene/Solr run twice as fast.
3> Makes it harder to screw up in general, and file operations in
particular (heck, I committed a screw-up on this recently), leading to
more functionality faster.
4> Anything else I can point to when answering the question "why is
Java 8 required?". But that "anything else" needs to be more specific
than "it's modern".

IOW, if I put myself in an operations person's shoes, I'd have to ask
"what makes going to Java 8 worth the headache? Gimme something to
take to my manager please!"

All _that_ said, I agree we have to move forward at some point. I'm
not convinced now's the time as far as Java 8 is concerned though. I
could get convinced if there were benefits like the above. But so far
nobody has presented anything that really lights my fire.

Erick