I hope this won't serve to interrupt the momentum for SOLR-3619 and
related work, just perhaps influence the direction.  What I'm going to
relate here probably is no surprise to anyone involved with the effort.

fieldType, incorporate it into the main example on my source code
checkout, and fire up the example so I could poke around on the analysis
tab.

I only had branch_5x, and it was a clean checkout, so I did "svn up"
followed by "ant example" and got to work.  The first thing I discovered
is that there's no longer a conf directory in example/solr/collection1.
I poked around for a bit, found what looked like a likely candidate
config, and modified the schema.xml.  Then I poked around a bit more and
learned that "bin/solr start" was what I need to use to get it running.

I was surprised to see that when Solr started, there were no cores
loaded at all.  Thinking about all the discussions around this topic,
this makes a lot of sense ... but it does make it hard to implement what
I typically use the example for, which is quick tests of small
config/schema changes or user-provided scenarios from IRC or the mailing
list.

I think the README or other documentation should probably cover exactly
what to do if your intent is to use collection1, modify it, and poke around.

Separately, I noticed that there are a lot of java options used to start
the server, including an increase to PermSize.  In all my time using
Solr, I've never had to change that.  Do we have common problems with
the new startup script and solr version that require it?

Thanks,
Shawn