My understanding is that you can run the examples, but you have to
specifically ask for one using the "-e" argument, like:
./solr start -e techproducts

That said, I'm trying it right now and It's failing and giving confusing
messages (Errors followed by success):

a82066179bf9:bin tflobbe$ ./solr start -e techproducts
Waiting to see Solr listening on port 8983 [|]  Still not seeing Solr
listening on 8983 after 30 seconds!
tail:
/Users/tflobbe/Documents/apache/lucene-solr-trunk-commit/solr/server/logs/solr.log:
No such file or directory
Creating new core using command:
http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores?action=CREATE&name=techproducts&configSet=sample_techproducts_configs

WARN  - 2014-11-02 16:32:24.486; org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI; Request to
http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores?action=CREATE&name=techproducts&configSet=sample_techproducts_configs
failed due to: Connection refused, sleeping for 5 seconds before re-trying
the request ...
Exception in thread "main" java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused
    at
java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.doConnect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:339)
    at
java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:200)
    at
java.net.AbstractPlainSocketImpl.connect(AbstractPlainSocketImpl.java:182)
    at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:392)
    at
org.apache.http.conn.scheme.PlainSocketFactory.connectSocket(PlainSocketFactory.java:117)
    at
org.apache.http.impl.conn.DefaultClientConnectionOperator.openConnection(DefaultClientConnectionOperator.java:178)
    at
org.apache.http.impl.conn.ManagedClientConnectionImpl.open(ManagedClientConnectionImpl.java:304)
    at
org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultRequestDirector.tryConnect(DefaultRequestDirector.java:610)
    at
org.apache.http.impl.client.DefaultRequestDirector.execute(DefaultRequestDirector.java:445)
    at
org.apache.http.impl.client.AbstractHttpClient.doExecute(AbstractHttpClient.java:863)
    at
org.apache.http.impl.client.CloseableHttpClient.execute(CloseableHttpClient.java:72)
    at
org.apache.http.impl.client.CloseableHttpClient.execute(CloseableHttpClient.java:214)
    at
org.apache.http.impl.client.CloseableHttpClient.execute(CloseableHttpClient.java:160)
    at
org.apache.http.impl.client.CloseableHttpClient.execute(CloseableHttpClient.java:136)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.getJson(SolrCLI.java:460)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.getJson(SolrCLI.java:413)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.getJson(SolrCLI.java:423)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.getJson(SolrCLI.java:399)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI$ApiTool.runTool(SolrCLI.java:692)
    at org.apache.solr.util.SolrCLI.main(SolrCLI.java:185)
Indexing tech product example docs from
/Users/tflobbe/Documents/apache/lucene-solr-trunk-commit/solr/example/exampledocs
SimplePostTool version 1.5
Posting files to base url http://localhost:8983/solr/techproducts/update
using content-type application/xml..
POSTing file gb18030-example.xml
SimplePostTool: FATAL: Connection error (is Solr running at
http://localhost:8983/solr/techproducts/update ?):

Solr techproducts example launched successfully. Direct your Web browser to
http://localhost:8983/solr to visit the Solr Admin UI

Tomás