On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:56 AM, Stevo Slavić <ssla...@gmail.com> wrote:
> More than one build tools is not way to go, I believe everyone agrees
> on that, and that it's not an issue.
>
> Have you guys at least considered making a switch to a build tool that
> knows to produce maven artifacts (or enhancing exiting one to take
> care of that)? E.g. ant+ivy, gradle, maven itself.

I think its important to look at the build system as supporting
development too, but most features being developed today are against
lucene's core: which has no dependencies at all.

For example, our ant build supports rapidly running the core tests
(splitting them across different jvms in parallel: i've looked at the
support for parallel testing in other build systems like maven and I
think ours is significantly better for our tests).

This compile-test-debug lifecycle is important, for the lucene core
tests its very fast.

So while I might agree with you that for something like Solr
development, perhaps ant+ivy is something worth considering, I think
its overkill and would be a step backwards for lucene, we would only
slow down development.