>> Please understand that by taking this attitude you waste everyone
>> else's time who does want to pass "ant precommit" before committing,
>> and everyone else's time to scan all these broken builds emails.

+1

personally ... i'm past the point of willing to overlook people who
obviously break the build ... ranodmized / timing sensitive test failures
are one thing -- but failure to compile, failure to pass precommit ...
these are obvious mistakes that can be easily caught in advance, and
create blocks preventing for other developers.

that's un-fucking-acceptable.

If i'm working on something, and discover that a recent commit has broken
precommit, I revert.  no discussion, no hesitation

: It's temporary - package private stuff will migrate to public.  It's
: not in it's final form and not meant to be a public API, but some
: things have to be public for internal cross-package use.

Then commit to a branch, or keep it in a patch, or keep it in a github
fork.  This project has evolved to trying to have the best safe guards we
can against broken code making it into the repo -- if people ignore those
safe guards, they have no right to complain when the rest of us call them
out on their bull shit and/or revert their commits.

: My point is that javadoc shouldn't fail stuff that java is happy with.

java is happy with "nocommit" in source files, and "@author" tags -- that
doesn't mean we as a project are.  If the most efficient way to find these
types of problems is by validating the javadocs -- as opposed to spending
a lot of time writting some sort of justom source code analysis -- then so
be it.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/