I have no dog in the svn vs git debate honestly.

I want to say how important it is to keep healthy history. I recently went
on a bit of code archeology dig recently to figure out why something in
Lucene was done the way it was. It was handy that the history went as far
back as it did, but I had to switch around to different places to continue
the history. For example, the abrupt shift that seems to be around when
Solr/Lucene were put together had me digging for the last pure lucene tag.
Its over at lucene/java/branches NOT lucene/dev/tags with teh other tags.

Then when you get to the branch for lucene-101, the first commit is:
> 2001: New repository initialized by cvs2svn.

Unable to find a cvs repo, my hunt stopped (love to hear if anyone has a
CVS repo -- maybe from Jakarta?)

So removing some jars isn't a big deal. But cutting off history and
restarting at some arbitrary point can be annoying and make it harder to
dig up more about why things are the way they are.

/steps down from soapbox
-Doug