> I'd like to have full consolidated history, as much as possible,
> connect-the-dots across whatever CVS/SVN/etc repos to the extent
> maximally permitted by law, as Doug hints at. Just nuke the jars.

I've done this (CVS->SVN->GIT) before. It wasn't that difficult.
Eventually (for git) you script it and it gets version after version
from CVS or SVN and appends it to git. I admit I didn't care much
about svn merging infos though. Any files can be removed/ pruned by
rewriting git trees before they're published.

Dawid