On Feb 15, 2011, at 1:00 PM, DM Smith wrote:

> Mark,
> I understand what you are saying. In this case, there are two issues that are
> not making it into 3.1 because they landed too late. After the freeze. The
> contributions appear to be done. So, the itch at this point needs to be
> scratched by one or more committers, to commit the changes and to act as
> release manager.

But it's after the freeze? I'm not sure the contributions are %100 done either.
Often these things need to be iterated on a bit once a committer takes a look.
And are we sure we are happy with the level of the tests? If these are coming
up as candidates after the freeze, I lean towards Roberts line of thinking...

By all means, shape them up, add tests, etc - that's the only hope they have -
but I wouldn't expect them to get in. Many feel that nailing a release as soon
as can be done is more important than last minute additions. If you can't find
a sympathetic committer, sometimes, them is indeed the breaks. A feature freeze
got a lazy consensus go ahead - I'm not sure we want to consider much more than
bugs at this point...but thats just me.

> It appears to me, that the effort to commit the contributions are minimal,
> and that in this case the true cost is that of doing the release.

Heh. I think looks can be deceiving sometimes. I'm not sure I'm willing to hold
the responsibility of those commits right now. If someone else is, that's great
... but I don't find them minimal enough for my taste I suppose ;) Depends on
what areas you feel comfortable with I guess.

> As to release discussions involving maven: if the next release were in a
> couple of months and nothing had been contributed to make maven better, why
> would it even need to be discussed. The last decision could still stand. I
> think it is the long time between releases that bring up the same intensity
> on the maven discussion.

Heh - I wish things where that simple.

> -- DM
>
> On 02/15/2011 12:08 PM, Mark Miller wrote:
>> More contributors contributin' will help us get there!
>>
>> Release work is not glorious. Release work is not fun (most of it). Release
>> discussions involve...*cough*...Maven...
>>
>> Been there. Many hands make light work or something though.
>>
>> Many want more releases - few have more time to give - that's my impression.
>> Open Source - help scratch your itch is the best advice I can give.
>>
>> - Mark
>>
>> On Feb 15, 2011, at 11:04 AM, Bill Bell wrote:
>>
>>> I would love to see a release every 3 to 6 months too
>>>
>>> Bill Bell
>>> Sent from mobile

- Mark Miller
lucidimagination.com