Even if we moved to git and did an svn rm on
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/dev, the entire history of Lucene would
remain in the ASF Subversion repository. Nothing we can do to prevent that!!

Upayavira

On Fri, Dec 4, 2015, at 09:26 PM, Gus Heck wrote:
> If we moved to git would a read only svn for older versions still
> exist? If so no reason to keep any jars at all in git.

> On Dec 4, 2015 4:22 PM, "Robert Muir" <rcm...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Dec 4, 2015 at 4:14 PM, Dawid Weiss
>> <dawid.we...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> [...] several GBs unless we remove those JARs from our history.
>>

> 1) History is important, don't dump it.

I don't think jar files are 'history' and it was a mistake we had so

many in source control before we cleaned that up. it is much better

without them.

this bloats the repository, makes clone slow for someone new who just

wants to check it out to work on it, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if it contributes to the system resources

issue at hand: which impacts *real history*