This is expected, as merging in the commit to a branch does create a new
commit for that branch (or rather it is then visible in the history of that
branch while before it was not).

Two years ago at ApacheCon I attended a talk by David Nalley. This issue
was brought up, and I spoke a little with him afterwards about it. At that
time, infra had no plans to change anything about how the alerts worked.