I was curious if there was a specific intentional reason for some of the
git commit email that seems to come as a blizzard of like 50 messages
whenever somebody simply updates a work in progress branch and doesn't seem
related to an actual commit to a release branch.

The latest just now was related to "SOLR-445: Merge remote-tracking branch
'origin' into jira/SOLR-445"

Is there some specific intent why there should be commit-level email for a
mere non-release branch update? I mean, does anybody get any value from
them? I do want to see them if master or branch_xy gets merged into, but
not for branches LUCENE/SOLR-nnnn, especially when each of those Jira
issues needs the same merge updates.

Just curious.

-- Jack Krupansky