On 3/11/2016 5:50 PM, Jack Krupansky wrote:
> I was curious if there was a specific intentional reason for some of
> the git commit email that seems to come as a blizzard of like 50
> messages whenever somebody simply updates a work in progress branch
> and doesn't seem related to an actual commit to a release branch.
>
> The latest just now was related to "SOLR-445: Merge remote-tracking
> branch 'origin' into jira/SOLR-445"

I wouldn't mind seeing a single summary message for commits to ancillary
branches.  If the info can't fit into a single message, include a link
for interested parties.  I definitely do not need a 50 message storm.
Such a storm is a lot of work for my mail server, though it's never
complained.  The *thousands* of messages generated on ASF's mail servers
would have the potential to cause significant delays to more important
mail traffic.

I think it could be argued that such an email storm is unnecessary even
for the primary branches.  I almost never look deeper than the first
message on something like that ... and if I really *am* interested, the
web-based access to git is probably a better way to examine the commit
anyway.

Jira is down so I can't look at the issue David referenced.  I will look
later.

Thanks,
Shawn