On Wed, 2016-11-23 at 13:23 +0000, David Smiley wrote:
> This is supported at the Lucene level via SortedSetDocValues.  Solr
> doesn't yet support this for its TextField
> -- https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/SOLR-8362
>  however you could work around this with an URP or copyField

copyfield does not help here as that copies the raw values. We need the
normalised values for display when we do faceting.

>  or perhaps subclassing TextField so that you can tokenize the text a
> second time to generate a list of SortedSetDocValuesField.  Probably
> least painless is to use another field.

So to facet on the normalised (analyzed really) values on a Text field
in a post-FieldCache Solr, I would need to write an URP or some other
custom code. I can manage that or just do the normalisation as part of
the pre-processing.

Question is if my scenario (using analyzers for facet terms) is wide-
spread? If so, I find this increase in implementation requirements
problematic.

I don't care for FieldCache as such - SOLR-8362 would be a better
solution for the scenario I describe. Or maybe an URP that makes it
easy to provide a list of analyzers? I am simply looking for a way
that a random end-user can easily do faceting on analyzed terms,
leveraging all the nice build-in filters in Solr.

- Toke Eskildsen, State and University Library, Denmark