From: dev@lucene.apache.org At: 01/09/17 11:37:13
To: dev@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: 6.4 release

Thanks for sharing Uwe. It would be wonderful to make latest java9 works with
the released version. I can delay the branching until
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7596 is closed ?
In the mean time I am trying to create the release notes in the wiki but I
don't have the permissions to create the pages. Where can I get such
permissions ?

Hi,

I am fine with the start of release process, but I would like to add one thing:

I know that Elasticsearch wants to be compatible with recent Java 9 for the
continuous delievery process. The new Lucene release is compatible with that
(mmap unmapping works), but you cannot build the release with Java 9 148+.
Currently the release vote of Groovy 2.4.8 is ongoing and should finish the
next few days. So I’d suggest to delay a bit, so I can update common-build.xml
and raise the Groovy version: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-7596

This does not make Solr Tests work with Java 9, but that’s a different
discussion (mocking frameworks broke with recent Java 9):
I will fix this by disabling those tests with Java 9, but that a bit of work to
set those assumeFalse(Constants.JAVA9….). I don’t see this as a blocker!

Uwe

-----
Uwe Schindler
Achterdiek 19, D-28357 Bremen