On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 2:47 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_luc...@fucit.org> wrote:
> You're missing my point entirely.  yes it's in the 3.2 section but all
> that tells the user is that it was fixed on the 3x branch just prior to
> the 3.2 release -- that doesn't give users *any* info about wether that
> bug ever affected (or was fixed) on the completely and radically different
> 4x branch.  There were multiple commits -- the bits are not the same.

Did 4.0 get released somehow without me noticing?

Users don't need to see whether the bug affected the 4.x branch.
There is no such thing.

4.0 is unreleased: if its a bug in 4.0, I generally add no CHANGES.txt
at all, unless its a non-committer contributing the patch, in which
case I add their name to the
new-4.0-feature-affected-by-the-bug-in-question.

There's no sense in CHANGES being a 'rolling list', when someone looks
at 4.0 they should be able to see whats DIFFERENT aka what CHANGED
from the past release.

The only possible use these rolling lists could have is for people
using trunk, but thats not its purpose: if you are using trunk, you
need to be subscribed to the commits@ list.