Hey Andrzej,

Thank you for your response.

In this specific case updated field is not id or unique field, it is just
some random field I am using for routing. So in this case, it may make
sense to be able to route document to new location by updating (atomic or
not) :).

I would think that solution is either to use real value for routing or
throw exception if field is atomically updated and there is a change that
thats why document would end up in wrong shard using current logic.

Anyway. I created ticket for discussion: