: ASF has us legally covered, and from the foundation's side, GitHub
: issues is equal to JIRA issues and GitHub PRs are equal to patches in
: JIRA.

: > People that wish to continue using their Apache committer accounts to
: commit code may continue doing so on gitbox.apache.org with their Apache
: credentials. Nothing has changed in that respect.

: So the argument against TOS or personal M$ dislikes or principles won't hold
here.
:
: We can continue accepting JIRA issues, patches and commits to GitBox for
: those who favor those tools for any reason. But we can equally well
: embrace the entire GitHub tooling which was made available to us by ASF

Ok -- everybody chill for a second.

I made a specific comment regarding github TOS/access in response to a
*very* specific suggestion.

As a refresher, the specific suggestion i was responding to was this...

: > : Is there any reason at all that we need to hold on to JIRA? ASF allows
: > : us to move all issue handling over to GH, I'd like us to consider such a
: > : move.
: >
: > In my opinion, migrating from JIRA to Github "issues" would be a terrible
: > idea.

...that's it. *replacing* JIRA with github-issues is the specific idea i
was saying was terrible.

Arguments that the code is still safe, and that committers who don't trust
github can still push directly to gitbox w/o needing to accept 3rd party
TOS; and that patches in github PRs are just as legally valid as patches
in Jira are all fine -- but completely irrelevant to my comment.

Likewise: Arguments that people who don't agree to github TOS, or can't
access github could still be contribute via JIRA make zero sense in the
specific hypothetical scenerio i was replying to where JIRA no longer
exists.

As i said before: if folks want to encourage and facilitate more direct
integration and contributions & reviews via github -- using whatever weird
ass github workflows or integrations or "hooks" or whatnot that github
offers -- then cool, go for it, i'm all in favor of opening those doors
(evne if i don't plan on using them much).

what i objected to was *closing* a door (again: specificly, migrating off
of JIRA completely) that is currently open to anyone and saying it's not
neccessary because we've open a new door that comes with a lot of
restrictions and baggage.

: > I have no objections to the goal of "encouraging" and "facilitating"
: > contributions via github from people already using github -- but making
: > github the defacto (or *sole*) way to participate and contribute code
: > means pressuring people into accepting the github TOS (not just
: > now, but whatever those might be in the future) as well as making it
: > virtually impossible for people to participate if they are in locations
: > github has decided to block (ie: Iran, Syria, and Crimea ATM + whomever
: > else the US decides to sanction down the road)
: >
: > Opening up, or expanding, pathways for participation is one thing --
: > I'm all in favor of that (even if I personally can't stand those avenues).
: >
: > But *closing* existing path ways that are currently entirely "open" and
: > "free" to anyone that wants to participate w/o any limitations or TOS
: > other then "Provide an ASF controled and owned website with an email
: > address" ... that's just sad.

-Hoss
http://www.lucidworks.com/