I think it highly depends on how you want to do it. You could continue to run
4.6 and have another instance(a) with 8.2+. Then you just Index as you used to
do it until now on the new one. Once you have all the data indexed you switch
you lt application to 8.2. Of course you need to test it in dev, test etc
environments.
Maybe in order to reduce time for the future and it you don’t use a database
import. Convert your “rich” documents (eg pdf, wird, excel) in a suitable text
format (or html) and start indexing from there. This will save you a lot of
time on converting those documents in case of reindexing.

Then depending on the use case it could be also worthy to think about not
indexing anymore old data (=> datensparsamkeit).