Hi,

I phrased that sentence in the roadmap Wiki, but I think the wording is more
conservative than need-be. The intent was really to avoid a situation where 9.0
goes out the door «tomorrow» without a replacement for a popular feature that
the community really wants. I attempted a re-phrase of that sentence after the
meeting yesterday, but did not immediately find a better wording.

Personally I think a deprecation in 8.6 can be removed in 9.0 (there’ll be
several months and 2’ish releases in between) if it has a well known, released
replacement/package. And let’s link to those packages in ref-guide and link to
the ref-guide from the release-note. I.e. ref-guide
<https://nightlies.apache.org/Lucene/Solr-reference-guide-master/uploading-structured-data-store-data-with-the-data-import-handler.html>
 currently ways DIH is to be removed, perhaps that page could instead explain
how to obtain the package, and at the same time encourage users to contribute
to maintaining it?

The consensus from yesterday seems to be that stuff with a released replacement
can/should be removed in 9.0, but for CDCR and SolrCell, where the proejct
still wants to provide a better alternative, they can remain deprecated 9.x. In
particular for SolrCell we can’t imagine how many users it has out there. Even
after inventing its successor based on TikaServer, integrated in SolrJ or
whatever, I would advocate for the good-old ExtractingRequestHandler to be
available as a package for a few releases to come.

Wrt whether something could be removed in 9.1 as long as it was deprecated in
8.x, I would initially say YES, at least legally/technically. We’re not
breaking any back-compat promise as long as it has been prominently flagged as
deprecated for so long. However, I can see how people not reading documentation
downloads 9.0.0, starts using a deprecated feature and then complains when it
is gone in 9.3 :)

We also have an option to release Solr 10.0 (Solr X) sooner rather than later
(even on Lucene 9.x). Looks like we have tons of major goodies lined up - it
won’t all need to land in 9.0. Guess that’s what the Roadmap page is there for.
So as David says, let’s start placing the removal JIRAs into the roadmap page
and see if we’re still on the same page?

Jan