If CDCR is actively broken (does not start?), then isn't it
effectively deprecated from the last version that did not work? And if
it is not going to be maintained, then isn't the 'latest' version is
whichever we still did not delete it in. Because a broken feature is
only worth keeping in, if we ever plan to fix it.

We have been through the same with UIMA, if I recall. It was broken
for a bit and then when I pulled it, ONE person got all upset.
SOLR-11694

Regards,
   Alex
Ps. I don't know the degree of 'broken' of this specific feature. So,
I am mostly talking practical principles here.