> I do hope we manage to port to master all these improvements!

Ilan: It is a very important consideration. We should ensure that this
happens (either these changes are ported to master in chunks, or this
branch becomes master after fixing the history to decompose in meaningful
chunks).

> What’s your sense of how much effort changing _functionality_ on
master/8x and porting it to the EA is? I’m sure “It Depends(tm)”, I’m more
interested in whether you expect most stuff ports pretty easily or very
little stuff to port easily?

Erick: I feel both branches (master and reference) are mostly on par
functionality wise (except recent changes in master, post June). AFAICT,
bulk of the changes in reference branch are fixes, refactorings and
SolrCloud improvements. Mark, please fill in if I've missed something.

> BTW, how many warnings are there ;)

Erick: Tons! Precommit fails too. That's why we need time till December :-)

> does it become futile to chase down the intermittent failures we see on
master/8x? One of the major thrusts of the EA is things like race
conditions and the like. If many/most such errors just disappear in EA, I
have little incentive to fix them in master/8x. Under any circumstances, I
suspect that most fixes like this would be totally different between the
two. That’s a huge positive BTW….

Erick: Depends on how optimistic we are about the success of this branch.
At this moment, I am not confident enough to have these changes in
reference branch merged back to master, and hence I want users to do a
thorough production testing before we are confident. Just because tests run
fast doesn't necessarily mean the service will run flawlessly in
production, even though that is definitely the hope Mark started this
effort with. In my opinion, fixes to 8x/master should definitely not stop
because of this effort.

> Does it make sense to cut 9.0 coincidentally with the EA being adopted as
the right future direction? In that case, 9x may be short-lived, more of a
placeholder that we deprecate methods, backport new changes from EA etc,
but don’t necessarily expend much effort to backport changes from 10x that
don’t backport easily.

Erick: +1, definitely one of the many reasonable paths to take, IMO.

> Has Lucene changed much (or at all) in the EA? I’m guessing not. Maybe
not even touched…

Erick: It is the same Lucene as what master is using. I don't see any
Lucene level changes.

>  Let's focus on making all the tests pass and get this to the hands of
our users.

Noble: +1

> Let's say Solr 10 ( or whatever name gets picked ) turns out stable
enough in the alpha phase - What would the next step be?

Varun: I think at that point we should make sure that branch is the master:
either (i) by porting over all changes from that branch, piece by piece, to
master branch (I volunteer to do so), or (ii) fix the commit history of
that branch itself (decompose all the changes into meaningful/logical
chunks) and make sure all features in current master are on that branch (I
volunteer to do so).

> Would we bring back all the changes to master?

Varun: As I explained above, that is one of the possiblities.

> Do you have a sense into how that would end up playing out? Could it be
brought in chunks or would it have to be wholesale ?

Varun: It can surely be brought in wholesale. As per a conversation with
Noble and David, we agreed that bringing it in chunks would be best going
forward. All chunks may not independently work/pass tests, but they will be
isolated enough to capture the themes.

> Also do you know what features in the reference branch have been removed
because they were unstable ?

Varun: None that I am aware of. Mark, please help me here. There are many
features whose tests are disabled, either because they were failing or they
were taking very long. It is our collective goal to ensure they are
unignored before this EA release. Mark is working on it, AFAIK.

> Finding out the features/bug-fixes in master that haven't made it to the
reference branch would be easier to find out.

Varun: This is important, so that master and reference are on par with each
other features wise. This is what I was working on, and intend to continue
working on. (SOLR-14830)

>  When we say "let users try", do we mean actual public with a release
published on our website?

Alex: Yes, an official release via Apache process.

> Because I can see the publishing of version 10, however it is tagged
> (alpha, whatever), completely confusing people about the upcoming 9
> version and causing an adoption delay.

Alex: We have to be very clear about messaging that this is an early access
preview release, and by no means what will be there in the final 10.0 (or
howsoever we tag it).

> Especially combined with
> cleanups that we already put in 9.0.

Alex: All 9.0 cleanups (deprecations, removals, examples) etc. should
ideally be mirrored in this reference branch. We should ensure that and
that is part of what I'm working on: SOLR-14830

> Maybe we could release it to
> committers community first and dogfood it "internally"?

Alex: It is meaningless. Committers don't run large scale installations. We
barely even have time to take care of running unit tests before
destabilizing our builds. We are not the right audience. However, we all
can anyway check out the branch and start playing with it, even without a
release. There are orgs that don't want to install any code that wasn't
officially released; this release is geared towards them (to help us test
this at their scale).

> And if the issue with naming it 'not 10.x' is one piece of code
> (package manager), maybe we can one-off patch that instead. Or hack
> the version to be something ridiculous like 42 (the answer to
> everything...) instead of something that is psychologically feasible.

Alex: I am fine with any version so long as it is numeric (with a
alphanumeric suffix, e.g. 10.0.0-alpha or 10.0.0-ea, or 42.0.0-alpha). We
can arrive at that number in a separate thread, if needed.