(The comments below are in the context of +1 of getting this working out.)

When we say "let users try", do we mean actual public with a release
published on our website?

Because I can see the publishing of version 10, however it is tagged
(alpha, whatever), completely confusing people about the upcoming 9
version and causing an adoption delay. Especially combined with
cleanups that we already put in 9.0. Maybe we could release it to
committers community first and dogfood it "internally"?

And if the issue with naming it 'not 10.x' is one piece of code
(package manager), maybe we can one-off patch that instead. Or hack
the version to be something ridiculous like 42 (the answer to
everything...) instead of something that is psychologically feasible.
I recall this dual version confusion happening before in other
communities and it really messed things up. Python is a recent
example, but I seem to recall other similar events for
products/communities that no longer exist (hopefully for other
reasons).

And yes, all the questions of forward-porting are there as well,
if/once this succeeds.

Regards,
   Alex.

Regards,