I block any analytics I can find. I am with you on the overall positioning.
And yes, the absolute numbers lie.

At the same time, we can get a lot of relative numbers and trends that are
valuable in other ways.

For example:
1) Are the social media announcements of new releases drive people to
download Solr?
2) Which Ref Guide pages (if we had GA there) are most popular and why
can't we convince users to use the latest version instead of 6.6 (looking
at referrals). My specific peeve is that I think URPs page should be a lot
more visible, I would love to see if my assumptions are true by seeing if
people discover that page, relative to other pages.
3) What is the page flow on the website? Are there any pages that are
complete invisible because of how we linked to them? Are there super
popular pages that are completely out of date?
4) Do we have increase or decrease in traffic matching specific events
5) Is there a specific partner/agency site that is driving a lot of
attention to Solr; can we replicate that with others?
6) Do we even count downloads in GA? Because GA is for HTML pages only by
default
7) If any of this is valuable, but we want to pull out GA anyway, this
would help to know what tracking information we would like from Apache
Infra?

In general, these kinds of questions are the domain of Developer
Relationships role. Lucene/Solr project does not have one as such, which
may explain why not many people understand the values of modern analytics
solutions. I am offering my time to make the value of analytics concrete,
so we are making the next decision based on  reality rather than our
collective imagination of what analytics actually does or does not.

Regards,
   Alex.