Solr doesn't have backward compatability tests, only Lucene has.

That's why I proposed leaving the door open for a Solr 8.12 release based
on already released 8.11 Lucene and not releasing any further 8.x minor
version release of Lucene.

As I said, if that's problematic to do on branch_8x of lucene-solr, then we
can do so in the solr repo. If some urgent action to nuke the branch is to
be taken, please give some time to explore alternatives that affect Solr's
developement.

Holding up Lucene 9.0 release for removal of branch_8x is lunacy, not the
continued existence of this branch in the shared repo, since a future
course of action should be deliberated upon before nuking the branch.