+1 to remove / lock branch_8x in the lucene-solr repo, i.e. there will not be
an 8.12 release by Lucene PMC.

Whether Solr needs to release an 8.12 from own repos or not can be discussed in
dev@solr if/when needed. So far there is only loose talk, and I think Solr
PMC's energy should be devoted to the Solr 9.0 release.

Jan