Am 06.04.23 um 17:47 schrieb Robert Muir:
Well, I'm asking ppl actually try to test using such high dimensions.
Based on my own experience, I consider it unusable. It seems other
folks may have run into trouble too. If the project committers can't
even really use vectors with such high dimension counts, then its not
in an OK state for users, and we shouldn't bump the limit.

I'm happy to discuss/compromise etc, but simply bumping the limit
without addressing the underlying usability/scalability is a real
no-go,

I agree that this needs to be adressed

  it is not really solving anything, nor is it giving users any
freedom or allowing them to do something they couldnt do before.
Because if it still doesnt work it still doesnt work.

I disagree, because it *does work* with "smaller" document sets.

Currently we have to compile Lucene ourselves to not get the exception when using a model with vector dimension greater than 1024,
which is of course possible, but not really convenient.

As I wrote before, to resolve this discussion, I think we should test and address possible issues.

I will try to stop discussing now :-) and instead try to understand better the actual issues. Would be great if others could join on this!

Thanks

Michael

We all need to be on the same page, grounded in reality, not fantasy,
where if we set a limit of 1024 or 2048, that you can actually index
vectors with that many dimensions and it actually works and scales.

On Thu, Apr 6, 2023 at 11:38 AM Alessandro Benedetti