I don't want to get too far off topic, but I think one of the problems here
is that HNSW doesn't really fit well as a Lucene data structure. The way it
behaves it would be better supported as a live, in-memory data structure
instead of segmented and written to disk for tiny graphs that then need to
be merged. I wonder if it may be a better approach to explore other
possible algorithms that are designed to be on-disk instead of in-memory
even if they require k-means clustering as a trade-off. Maybe with an
on-disk algorithm we could have good enough performance for a
higher-dimensional limit.