To be clear Robert, I agree with you in not bumping it just to 2048 or
whatever not motivated enough constant.

But I disagree on the performance perspective:
I mean I am absolutely positive in working to improve the current
performances, but I think this is disconnected from that limit.

Not all users need billions of vectors, maybe tomorrow a new chip is
released that speed up the processing 100x or whatever...

The limit as far as I know is not used to initialise or optimise any data
structure, it's only used to raise an exception.

I don't see a big problem in allowing 10k vectors for example but then
majority of people won't be able to use such vectors because slow on the
average computer.
If we just get 1 new user, it's better than 0.
Or well, if it's a reputation thing, than It's a completely different
discussion I guess.