On Thu, Jul 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM, Chris Hostetter
<hossman_luc...@fucit.org> wrote:

> : so its really frustrating at the moment.
> : If its really mandatory to keep this, we should make this a system
> : property (defaulted to off)
>
> this seems like the sanest solution to satisy most people -- but i don't
> think it should default to "off" ... "ant clean" should clean up all the
> jars by default.  novice contributors who aren't overly familiar with the
> build system and may not even be aware of when/how we are using ivy should be
> able to run "svn update && ant clean test" w/o needing to understand that
> *sometimes* you have to run "ant clean-jars"  or go out of their way to
> set a system property.

How does this help novice users? Novice users are just as likely to go
to lucene/ or solr, and only run ant clean test from there. I imagine
solr contributors don't generally run the lucene tests... why would
they if they arent changing it? If they do this, no clean-jars will
happen when they run clean.

But working on lucene its a must to run all of them, because you might
break something in solr. This is why i got used to running this stuff
from the top level.

--
lucidimagination.com