As we are already talking about properties. How about the following:

We add an <available file="..."/> task to populate a property
"ide.used.foobar". This just checks if e.g. Eclipse is enabled (somebody ran
ant eclipse before). If this property is true, we don’t run ant clean-jars on
clen. Very simply, very efficient.

The issue here is to remove validate from root ant test. This is easy and we
can commit asap.

One thing: In my opinion, the root build.xml file should not conatin any logic
at all. It should just delegate all targets called down to lucene and solr's
build.xml. If I call ant prepare-release it should do this for both projects.
The same for ant or validate. No magic on top-level, just plan delegation.
Maybe we can do that automatically, so we don’t have to declare all targets and
subant them. Maybe some ant default target trick like <target name="*">, I have
no idea, that would be cool.

-----
Uwe Schindler
H.-H.-Meier-Allee 63, D-28213 Bremen