On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 7:25 PM, Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org> wrote:
> OK, that's reasonable.  I did see the reply and my response was to put up a
> patch so we can discuss it concretely instead of have a theoretical
> discussion.

Your JIRA just repeated the same point, and appeared to disregard my
follow-up. It looks like the stated motivation for the patch was in
fact not correct. (Yonik provided a different, decent rationalization
for it.) I think it was right to -1 the patch. and I don't think you
should have suggested this was an invalid or extreme thing to do.
Opening a JIRA, which suggests you think there's consensus to make a
change, seems like the out-of-place thing.

> These 40 lines could probably be a lot less if we didn't have 2 different
> classes to track the same two things:  id and score (SimilarUser and
> RecommendedItem).  If that were gone, then we could just have one extension
> of the PQ.  Likewise for ItemItemSimilarity and UserUserSimilarity container.
>  Since that's all hidden from the user, there really is no need for the
> distinction.

This is an orthogonal point -- what's it have to do with your proposed
patch? I think the patch is fine, but don't think this bolsters the
argument that it's a big simplification.

You can overload, say, SimilarUser and GenericRecommendedItem. They're
both an ID and a floating-point value. What do you call it --
EntityScore? It probably harms readability ever so slightly,
especially as it also has to implement the RecommendedItem interface.
toString() would change. I don't object, I don't really think it
helps.