Hi Dmitry,

I have a feeling the objective may be very close to convex. In that case there
are faster approaches than random subsampling.

A common strategy for example is to fit a quadratic onto the previously
evaluated lambda values, and then solve it for the minimum.

This is an iterative approach, so wouldn't fit well within map reduce, but if
you are thinking of doing this as a preprocessing step it would be OK.