Hello,

On 25.03.2013, at 09:10, Sebastian Schelter wrote:

> Hi,
>
> throwing in my 2 cents here:
>
> I don't agree that we simply lack manpower but have a clear vision. I
> actually think its the other way round. I think Mahout is kind of stuck,
> because it does not have a clear vision.

I fully agree. So I think Mahout needs a vision. The big problem about ML is
that you can do everything with it but to make a difference you have to focus.

I am using Mahout for solving business problems e.g.:

- Online fraud
- eCommerce recommendations
- Demand forecasting

One big piece that is missing for all the algorithms is a complete bundled data
set that is solving a real business problem and with bundled I mean that it is
in the Mahout source tree. If no real data is available generated data could be
used.

I tried to fill this gap for recommendations with my github project:

https://github.com/ManuelB/facebook-recommender-demo

This project seams to be  used by the community. You can get it, compile it and
start it with 4 commands.

> It is also my personal experience (= I heard it over and over again from
> our users) that it is extremely hard to get started with Mahout using
> the available documentation. MiA is the exception to this, but people
> have to buy it first and it lacks a lot of the latest developments. It
> would be awesome to have a reworked wiki that is qualitatively
> comparable to MiA.

So this is the nature of a framework. If you really want people to get started
easily you have to provide a full blown example where you can just replace the
example data with your data.

I don't think that enough manpower can be acquired to create a visual GUI for
Mahout. Further I don't think that this would help. There are already excellent
GUIs for ML e.g. Weka (http://www.cs.waikato.ac.nz/ml/weka/) and RStudio
(http://www.rstudio.com/)

> Best,
> Sebastian