It should work fine with Java 1.7. Mahout's presently at Lucene 4.6.x and
Lucene versions >= 4.7 mandate JDK 1.7.

The reason we had not switched to Java 1.7 when we moved to the new
T-Digest (post 0.9 release and back in March this year IIRC) was because of
existing customers who could potentially be still on 1.6.

We should switch to 1.7 and agree with all the points that Ted's called out
earlier in this thread.